Christmas Decorations

Since I had mentioned sewing some Christmas decorations for my knitting group's expo-vente, I thought I'd share the results.  I made three; one sold at the expo-vente.  My original idea was to knit some Christmas balls, but I wasn't sure what to use as a support to get the shape, so I decided to sew something.

I got the basic (rounded) star shape, as well as the embroidery pattern from this quilting pattern:


You can see in the prototype that I used green embroidery thread.  Plus I didn't do the embroidery before sewing and stuffing.  Whoops.  So, as you can imagine, the embroidery process was a bit difficult and the result a bit wonky.



For the final product, I changed to white embroidery thread.  And, of course, I embroidered the fabric before sewing and stuffing.   I also invested in some more festive fabric.  I chose fabric with a red background so as to hide my final hand-stitching, for which I used red thread.


I also added the button.  This helped hide the center of the embroidery design, which wasn't so even, as well as add a focal point to the overall design.  I used plaid buttons that I had in my (very small) stash.  I ordered these buttons off this shop at Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/oritdotan.  The shop owner is based out of Israel, but he mails world-wide.  I love his selection.  I was originally attracted to his shop by some turquoise buttons which I purchased for another sewing project. 


Speaking of sewing, my current project has stalled a bit due to the bad weather here in Orleans.  I need to go to a fabric store in Saran and that requires driving.  Since the driving conditions haven't been so good, that trip has been delayed.  I'm hoping to get up there on Wednesday.

But in other news, I've been knitting up a storm.  I'm currently working on a sweater for T.  I don't think it'll be finished for Christmas, but hopefully I'll finish it early enough so that he can still get some use out of it this winter.  Here's a photo of it in progress:


I've progressed much further since taking this photo.  I am sorely tempted to cheat on this project though and knit myself another hat.  I only have one hat that covers my ears and it's getting a bit worn.  I like it, so I want to make it last longer by alternating with another hat.  I already have the yarn and the pattern in mind...stay posted.

Comments

  1. I think you should make yourself a hat. If you get burned on the sweater, then you will never finish. Allow yourself some diversity and it will keep you going strong, longer! :) I love the color and am so glad Thomas is skinny because it would make me look so chunky!!!

    I want to make a project with you in January, please. :) Maybe Jared Flood's Beaumont Tam hat in white and red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I love the Beaumont Tam, so I definitely think we should make that together! As for T's sweater, it might make him look chunky, at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog. It brings back memories of my own grandmother who used to embroider, knit and sew. I love seeing this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts