Finished Shirt: Simplicity 2339

I finished another item on my Spring Palette Challenge this year. I made a shirt with three-quarter sleeves from Simplicity's Amazing Fit pattern line: 2339, view A.


I wore it for its first outing on a visit to the Château de Chambord with my father-in-law, who was visiting it for the first time.


All photos were taken with T's phone, so they are a bit grainy.


Here's a close-up on the sleeve cuff:


I'm really happy with how the shirt turned out. I changed the construction order a little bit, but otherwise, the instructions were very clear and thorough. The only things I did differently were: a) to use French seams for the sides; and b) to use a ribbon in place of hem binding.

I didn't make any fitting changes. I cut a straight 12 and I am really happy with the fit. Normally when I cut a straight 12, I have a lot of fabric pooling in the lower back and it's a bit tight across the hips. But that's not the case here. I have a little bit of fabric pooling in back, but the fit at the hips is perfect.


Here's a close-up on the ribbon, upside down:


I had to put hem binding (or something) because I changed the construction order and made the front button placket before doing the hem, instead of doing the hem first as the pattern calls for.

I can easily imagine making many versions of this pattern. This version actually calls for front chest pockets. I tried to make them but they turned out pretty crappy. Hopefully I'll do better next time.

Here's one more photo, inside Chambord. Look, I match the wall, top and bottom!


Because we have guests this week I don't count on getting much sewing done, but I will continue to plug away at my 2012 spring/summer sewing list. I still have five items left on my original list.

Here's a reminder of my plan. I changed patterns for the first two items sewn.


I think I'll attack the pink fabric next!

Comments

  1. It looks lovely Donna, and this soft pistachio green colour suits your colouring so well! I love the sleeve cuff too... very nice detail! it's little touches like this that make the shirt look really professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shirt! I really like the sleeve cuff and I love how you're matching the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shirt, Donna. The colour suits you and I love the details like the cuff and binding. The chateau looks great too - what a wonderful backdrop. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I love your matchy matchy photo - too funny! I LOVE your version of this pattern! i just cut out the same version myself, but I've been a little hesitant to get going on it. After seeing your version, I might definitely jump in and tackle it! The fit is very good on you, and I love the color. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts